Skip to main content

Investigation 5/3: Ultra Key

Ultra Key, also known as Chroma Key or green/blue screening is the process of removing the background or subject within a video by removing a specified solid color during post-production. This is a useful tool for any filmmaker, allowing you to more easily change the setting of your film. The following describes my experience learning to use Ultra Key and my thoughts about it.

Lighting Your Green Screen

In order to have the best results with Ultra Key, you need to make sure that your green screen is properly lit in the beginning. By properly lighting your green screen, you are making sure that the color of the green screen appears consistent throughout the entire frame. Improper lighting of your green screen can make it more difficult for Ultra Key to remove the background from your subject. It is also important to note that the lighting used for your subject should not be the same lighting used for your green screen. Both your subject and green screen should be lit with their own form of lighting in order to get the best results.

Using Ultra Key In Premiere Pro

Using Ultra Key within Premiere Pro is a very simple process. After importing your footage with your green/blue screen background, apply the Ultra Key effect to the clip. Next, within the effect controls window you can use the eyedropper tool to determine your key color. Once you click on your background and select your key color, it should automatically be removed from your video, giving it a transparent background. If there are still some green spots visible, you can manipulate the settings within the effects control panel to try and remove the remaining color. Finally, you are now able to put your desired background on the layer below your Ultra Keyed clip and have your complete clip.

My Thoughts With Ultra Key

Ultra Key greatly expands the freedom of what your set could look like within a film. Having the ability to put my subject on any backdrop allows you to be able to focus more on what you are filming rather than where you are filming. I have used Ultra Key in a couple of projects and I have never had a bad experience using it. So far, I have only used memes and other pre-made clips with Ultra Key and layered them over top of the content that I recorded. Hopefully, using Ultra Key and a green screen will help me to create something during this time where its difficult to shoot on a set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post