Skip to main content

Investigation 9/20: Live Streaming (and Football)

 This week marked the beginning of my time working with the football team for my internship. My internship involves me both recording practices and live streaming games, the latter of the two I will be focusing on today.

 Live streaming In Summary

Live streaming describes the process of streaming video content live over the internet for viewers to watch along in real time. Live streaming is similar to live television recordings, but is largely used to describe smaller, lower quality video streams to a smaller number of people. Typically, livestreams have an intended audience whom the content is being broadcasted to. Common forms of content viewed on livestream are video games, event coverage, performances, conferences, and in the case of my internship, sports.

Live Streaming Football Games

My primary duty so far for live streaming the football team's scrimmages and games has been working with a camera. The camera feed from my camera is what is livestreamed to everyone viewing the game from their device. All of the camera basics that are used in filmmaking I also use while live streaming. I make sure to frame the feed wide enough for viewers to see the play but not so wide that the players look too small on their screens. Once a play begins, I have to make sure to pay attention to where the ball is so that I can make sure it is in frame, zoom in when necessary, and track the ball when thrown. As points are scored, I also change the scoreboard which is visible on the stream. Lastly, I have to keep in mind how fast I move the camera as I want to give viewers a pleasant and easy to follow viewing experience.

Differences Between Live Streaming And Filmmaking

While most people might think that live streaming and filmmaking are very similar to each other, in my experience, they seem quite different. Filmmaking relies entirely on you creating a plan, preparing to carry out your plan, and redoing your plan until you are satisfied with the result. In the case of live streaming, you have no exact set plan, have to adapt to whatever comes up, and there are no attempts to try again. Another difference between the two is the way that they are experienced. Livestreams are intended to be experienced live as they happen in real time. While it is definitely possible to watch a livestream after it has occurred, it lessens the experience in comparison to experiencing it as it happened. On the other side of the coin, films can be viewed again and again and again, as they're intended to be watched whenever the viewer would like to do so. Theoretically, a viewer could view a film as it is being filmed, however, the experience would be lessened due to missing context, continuity, and effects that would be present in the final cut. Overall, the differences between the two can be described by saying that filmmaking allows for creative expression while live streaming allows for live, truthful coverage.

Final Thoughts

While I have so far enjoyed live streaming some of the football games the team has played, I don't know if doing any other sort of livestream would interest me. I have previously tried live streaming on Twitch but didn't enjoy it very much as it lacked much of a way to express my creativity, which would be a reason why I'd prefer to make a film. If I were to ever have a unique idea that would benefit from/involve live streaming, I would definitely give it a try and see if it would change my opinion. However, I am still grateful for being able to gain experience through this internship opportunity and I hope I can use my newfound knowledge in the future.

Work Log

  • 9/14 - Football Practice #1 (Recorded plays and took misc. B-Roll)
  • 9/15 - Football Practice #2 (Recorded plays and first used live streaming equipment)
  • 9/16 - No Work
  • 9/17 - Football Scrimmage (First test livestream)
  • 9/18 - No Work
  • 9/19 - Football Scrimmage #2 (Second test Livestream) and Mini-THON registration tutorial (Edited provided footage together and recorded voiceover explaining footage)
  • 9/20 - No Work

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post