Skip to main content

MP 2 Reflections 2021

With the conclusion of the class presenting their work during second marking period presentations, I have taken the opportunity to take a closer look at some of my classmates' work so that I can better understand what they learned and accomplished. With this information, I am also able to learn some of the things that they learned as well as just appreciate the hard work of my peers.

Zach's Work

I've had the pleasure of talking to Zach throughout his process of producing his film so it was cool to see how it had ended up. Within his blogpost, Zach mentions how his ultimate goal for his film was to entertain his audience which I feel is the best goal for a high school film student to have and I definitely think that he delivered. Zach's intricate planning of his production is a perfect example of how your planning directly impacts your production; the better you plan then the better it ends up. After watching Zach's film, I can say that it demonstrates his confidence as a filmmaker. Shots are well composed and the sequences played during songs are visually appealing. Dreams Do Die's ability to entertain is a great example of what myself and all young filmmakers should attempt to accomplish in all of our projects.

Sean's Work

Prior to now, I haven't seen any of Sean's work before. However, now after seeing his work, I have so much respect for Sean and what he did. His blogpost clearly stated how his goals were to make a film, make it feel professional, and give it meaning. All of these goals are definitely met within his film Paintology. Sean's composition, color grading, and editing style is impressive and created a sense of enjoyment that I don't always get out of watching student films. The film is simple with it's plot and message but that doesn't take away from the film. Seeing the quality of Sean's work definitely makes me feel like I need to improve some of my filmmaking techniques but I also can't wait to see what he does next.

Erika's Blogpost

I've worked with Erika in the past as a part of Mini-THON's tech committee, but I haven't seen what her own work looked like until now. Erika chose to focus on the theme of the Human Experience and I feel that her film is one of the best student films I've seen present this theme. Her film also is one of the best examples of making a film within the world we now live in. One actor, no dialogue, one location. Even under these restrictions, the film still flourishes it's message of what isolation does to a person. The soundtrack and limited sound design help to make the viewer relate to the film's theme. The message of what life is like now isn't limited to just one person and not establishing a character or having dialogue let's anybody put themselves in the shoes of Erika within the film. The simplicity and effectiveness shown within Erika's film are two things that I myself am striving to do within my next film and having hers as an example will surely help me see what works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post