Skip to main content

Pre-Production Blog Post 4/17

It's finally time for me to once again complete my final Pre-Production cycle for this year. This final film will look quite different in regards to production stages due to it's required deadline. The reason for this deadline is due to this final film being the Mini-THON Documentary for 2021. As the Tech chair, it's my duty to complete a documentary to summarize the entirety of our Mini-THON year which will be shown on the day of our Mini-THON event. The following is the preparation that I have been able to complete during pre-production

The Documentary

As previously stated, the documentary is meant to serve as a final summary of the Mini-THON year leading up to our event. Typically, the documentary has a large amount of footage from all of the different events held during the year. However, due to the chaos that this year has been, I have less footage from events to pull from to tell the story of this year. However, I know that with the amount of footage that I have, I should be able to still pull it off. Each year's documentary typically follows a similar structure of how it presents the year and information. The best example of this is probably Georgea's documentary from last year which I am using as my biggest inspiration.

My Work So Far

The past month and a half have been very busy for me with both working to prepare for Mini-THON as well as the musical. Despite this, I have been working to prepare the documentary as much as I can. In a normal production cycle, I'd have at least a month to complete a film. However, due to our Mini-THON taking place on the 8th of May, I have less time overall to complete the documentary. Despite this quick deadline to complete it, I still do believe I will be able to manage to pull off a good final product. Over the past months I've been formulating an idea how I want to produce the documentary. I've tested syncing titles with music, creating mock-up shots, and writing a general script of dialogue to serve as narration. While the script is very barebones, it will serve as a good template during the process of editing and recording voiceover.

What's Next

During the next few weeks, I will be simultaneously working to complete this documentary as well as the video material required for the Man Pageant on May 6th. Some of this work will overlap between the two which should be helpful. The largest hurdle to overcome logistically is filming the section of all of the chairs and overalls introducing themselves and what they do. Filming these segments aren't difficult but I can only imagine how hard it will be to get all 20 of us at the school to record. However, once that is scheduled and shot, the rest of the documentary should be smooth sailing. All I have to do then is edit those segments together with clips I have from throughout the year, record a narration overtop of it and get everything signed off by Mrs. App and Mr. Stanley.

Work Log

  • 4/12 - Shot Musical Promo
  • 4/13 - No Work
  • 4/14 - No Work
  • 4/15 - DaVinci Resolve Experimentation
  • 4/16 - Worked On Documentary Script
  • 4/17 - Worked On Musical Promo
  • 4/18 - Finished Musical Promo
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post