Skip to main content

Hybridity Investigation: Chris Doyle



Chris Doyle: Brief History

Artist Chris Doyle was born is Pennsylvania in 1959. Today, Chris works in both New York City and Mexico City. Chris is known for creating art with projections, watercolors, and various other art forms. A few of Doyle's famous works are The Fluid, Bright Canyon, and LEAP.










Use of Hybridity in Art

Like many other artists, Chris Doyle incorporates Hybridity into his art. His use of hybridity can been seen in his works such as LEAP. LEAP showcases a mixture of both projection art and film. In the piece, Doyle uses hybridity to exaggerate how high each person can jump. Projecting the video onto the side of a building creates a different understanding for the audience as the piece may have been received differently if viewed normally instead of being projected.



My Thoughts on Hybridity

After investigating both in class and on my own, I have learned how hybridity allows for an artist to expand the possibilities and expectations for their artwork. Normally, each individual art form is limited in what it itself can do which also limits what the audience is to expect. By using hybridity, the artist is given new ways to create their artwork which also changes the expectations of the audience.

Use of Hybridity in My Own Work

By looking at examples of hybridity, I've determined that it is a beneficial tool to be able to use in my own work. I feel that I would be able to incorporate both animation and projection in my own work. Both of these other art forms allow me to create something for use in a project that might be too difficult to create with only film itself. One idea that I came across in my investigation that I found interest in was the ability to control scale with projection. Normally when making a film, the creator is limited in the size they can make their film give off. By presenting a film by projecting it on something large or small, it gives off a different feel in comparison to watching it normally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post