Skip to main content

Layering Investigation: David Salle

David Salle is an artist who focuses in the areas of photography, set design, and painting. Born on the 28th of September 1952, Salle began his passion while he was young. This passion followed with him throughout high school with Salle ending up attending California Institute of Arts. Salle did graduate from CalArts, earning his MFA. Next Salle moved across the country to work in New York where he found work with Vito Acconci, Mary Boone, and the American Ballet Theatre. Lastly, Salle is still working as an artist today.

Analysis Of Salle's Work

Open Boat - 1992 (Link To Painting)

Open Boat features a multitude of different objects to compose the image. The image contains multiple different layers which makes it difficult to define what exactly lies at the base of the image. Each layer of the image sits atop of another portion of the image, obstructing different layers.placeholder placeholder The observer can distinguish a few recognizable objects within the art. A woman, umbrella, ladder, and pelican can all be seen within the layers of the painting. Each of these can also be argued to fit with the title Open Boat with each being things that could be associated with a boat. The red and yellow lines can also be observed to form a boat, which by not being colored in, forms an "open boat'.

Diving - 2018 (Link To Painting)

Diving is another Salle painting which features layering. In this image the viewer can see a duplicated sketch of a nurse and a patient composing the background. Layered above the background are various colored sketches which relate to the title of the piece. These two separate layers work to create two different feelings within the piece. The background emanates a natural feeling of the patient being asleep with the nurse at his side. The foreground layer radiates a dreamlike energy by being in color and by depicting things that are not typically found in life, like the diving helmets.

How Artists Use Layering

Artist use layering in order to further accentuate depth and detail in their art. By using layering, the artist can exhibit more content in the piece of art than without it. For example, a painting of a tree would appear normally to a viewer and wouldn't cause much of an examination. However, with the use of layering, the artist can expand upon that original painting of a tree. The artist can use layers to add more detail to the tree or add separate details over top of the tree. Both different uses of layers add to the idea and change the perception of the art.

What I've Learned About Layering and How I Use It In My Work

Through my investigation, I've learned how layering can add to and expand ones creation. Whether in two dimensions or three dimensions, layering creates depth and meaning within art. While not required in order to create art, layering is a reliable tool that usually improves that art that it is used with. In my personal work, I am able to use layering in multiple different ways, both during production and after production. While filming I am able to layer whatever I am working with, whether its a background or the object I'm filming, layering is available for me to use to expand my work. During post-production work I am also available to use layering. Changing opacity of clips and layering them atop of each other in premiere gives me the ability to completely change the look and feel of my film. I found layering as a whole very interesting with its ability to broaden the detail of artwork and to give the artist more options to create with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post