Skip to main content

Investigation 12/8: The Importance Of Script Writing

With a large portion of films focusing on presenting a story, the script used to tell that story is very important. While a film can have stunning visuals or a memorable soundtrack, the script is usually what determines the quality of the film overall. As someone who is currently working on writing a script for a film, I wanted to investigate what makes a script standout from the rest.

The Qualities Of A Good Script

After researching to see what others had felt make a good script, one of the most important things I had read was to make your script engaging. If the audience isn't engaged within the dialog or actions written within the script, they won't enjoy the film nearly as much. The solution to this problem is to write with the mindset of what the audience wants. Writing deep characters and exciting scenes for them to take part in are things that the audience typically wants to see within a film. Another important quality to keep in mind while script writing is pacing. The pacing of a film is the speed at which the plot unfolds. If actions and scenes are too quick then it makes it difficult to understand and be immersed in the film. If they are too slow then the audience will likely get bored with the film and not want to watch it. To negate this problem, the writer should write each scene with detail in order engross the audience but not include so much detail that the scene lasts too long and interrupts the flow of the film.

My Personal Experience With Script Writing

As someone who has not had much experience with writing scripts, I have found it difficult to write something that I myself enjoy. With the concept of storytelling being present in society for generations, I find difficulty in creating an idea that is entirely unique. Most stories fall within the same common types. While this does make it difficult to create something fully original, it does help give a starting point for writing. Using these common story ideas as a basis mixed with inspiration from other works is the best way in my opinion to start out with writing. Especially as a beginning filmmaker, creating a story based upon the stories you enjoyed gives the potential to learn what works and doesn't work within a film and gives experience on how to make films like those you enjoy.

Work Log

  • Monday 12/2: No School
  • Tuesday 12/3: Began Script Writing
  • Wednesday 12/4: Continued Writing
  • Thursday 12/5: Continued Writing
  • Friday 12/6: Sick (No Work)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post