Skip to main content

Investigation 3/8: Working On A Production Team

After doing my part on this year's Mini-THON technology committee and working on production during the night of the event, I have gained some experience as to what it is like to work with a team of people all working together, simultaneously, to create a final product.

Filming On A Team

During the Mini-THON pep rally, I was one of the committee members tasked with moving around the floor and filming. This process was different for me as I did not have much prior experience with filming live events. Having multiple other people alongside me filming had also created the issue of having too many cameras all filming the same shot. This issues caused me to think of where I could go and what I could do in order to get different footage from the rest of my fellow committee members. Another thing that was different for me was the fact that because it was a live event, I would only have one opportunity to get each shot unlike when filming a traditional film where I could film as many takes as I would like. However, knowing that there were other people also filming gave me the reassurance that if I had missed something, it was likely captured on another camera.

Editing On A Team

I had spent the majority of the night of Mini-THON working with a few other committee members on editing the final video which recaps all of the events that took place throughout the night. The process was somewhat similar to the traditional process of editing a film. One committee member sorted through footage, determined what was usable while I had worked to make edits to the selected clips and set them to the music track.  Most of the videos that I have edited were created primarily by me, which meant that I had total freedom to do whatever I wanted to do for the final edit. Editing alongside our committee chair Georgea Hall was completely different from this as sometimes it was difficult for me to make the edits she desired, causing her to do them herself as well as that she had the final say as to what went into the final video. It was also interesting to see a different style of editing completely different from my own and for me to try and contribute to that style through editing.

Conclusions On Working On A Team

Despite it being different than the type of video production work that I normally do, I really enjoyed working on a production team for Mini-THON. Most of the work that I have done has required me to do most of the things required to reach my end goal. Working on this team, however, allowed me to experience what it was really like to have a smaller role in the production process and not have to be the one calling all of the shots. Hopefully, I have another opportunity in the future to contribute my skills on a team such as this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post