Skip to main content

Investigation 11/8: Steadicam Vs Tripod

Previously, I have investigated different tools you can use to stabilize your camera, which can be found here. Since writing that blog post, I have had plenty of time to test using both my tripod and my Steadicam. While each of them is useful in certain scenarios, sometimes it is difficult to bring both pieces of gear with you for some shoots. For this reason, I have decided to compare the strengths of each to determine which is better for all-around shooting scenarios.

Strengths Of A Tripod

Using a tripod allows you to get the very smooth and stable shots with minimal effort. From my experience using my tripod, it has been most useful when I have been in front of the camera and unable to closely monitor how the shot looks. With the tripod being able to sit completely still without requiring someone to be near, it can completely replace a camera operator in some scenarios. Tripods also take the edge in smooth tilts and pans. While it is definitely possible to get stable pans and tilts with a Steadicam, using a fluid head tripod is always much easier and doesn't require any extra effort on my part. The image attached shows an example of me singing for a choir assignment, where having a non-moving, stable, and unattended camera was needed for getting the results required.

Strengths Of A Steadicam

Using a Steadicam allows you to get smooth camera movements much easier than if you were to hold just the camera alone. Ever since I purchased my Steadicam last spring, I have used it for multiple projects and have always been impressed with the results. While a tripod has to remain on the ground, a Steadicam allows me to freely move the camera around easily. Having the camera off of the ground gives more freedom as you can freely move it around your subject without having to have a tripod take up space. The embedded clip shows an example of how the Steadicam allowed me to freely pan the camera up while not being restricted to the range of a tripod's fluid head. Due to a Steadicam's shape, it has allowed me to put the camera in places that it would normally be difficult to put a tripod in. The image attached is a screenshot from my next film where the camera was placed high in a cramped corner where it would be difficult to put a tripod in. 

Who Wins?

After using both my tripod and Steadicam in a variety of different projects, analyzing what makes them good, and comparing them between each other, I would have to say that if I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the Steadicam. While the tripod is definitely an essential part of a filmmaker's toolbox, I just feel that a Steadicam opens up more opportunities. Steadicams can be moved anywhere and keep stable while moving, which are two things that you just cannot do with a tripod alone. Despite my praises of the Steadicam, it is definitely a tool that requires training. Being able to hold it properly and move while keeping the camera steady is a skill that I am still working of perfecting. However, if you learn how to properly use it, I'd say take the Steadicam over the tripod for your next run-and-gun shoot.

Work Log

  • 11/2 - Football Practice Recording (No Project Work)
  • 11/3 - Continued to make adjustments to script and storyboard, Football Practice Recording
  • 11/4 - Mini-THON meeting (No Project Work)
  • 11/5 - Made casting adjustments
  • 11/6 - Worked to find proper mounting for the boom microphone for project use
  • 11/7 - Shot entirety of opening as well as some other misc. scenes
  • 11/8 - Continued to edit and color grade footage from yesterday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production Blog Post 12/6

Over the past couple weeks I have worked to finish my film and complete the post production stage of the project. During this time I filmed a few remaining scenes, edited everything together, and color graded. With the film now being complete, this is my reflection on the post production process. A Change To Dialogue The biggest thing that happened during the final bits of post production has to do with dialogue. Prior to the filming of the remaining scenes, I took a look at the script for those scenes. After reading through the dialogue, I noticed that even after trying to make it seem more natural, it sounded like a script. Then, I re-watched scenes that were shot during production and their dialogue also sounded awful. At this point I wasn't sure how I could re-write dialogue and have it sound good especially with very limited time. Then, I thought about just removing the dialogue, leaving the film as a "silent film". I went back and re-edited what I had already done,

Elements and Principles of Cinematography

Bird's Eye  Curved Lines  Diagonal Lines  Emphasis  Formal Balance  Framing  Horizontal Lines  Informal Balance  Leading Lines  Movement/Rhythm Proportion/Scale  Repetition  Rule of Thirds  Simplicity  Unity  Variety  Vertical Lines  Worm's Eye

End of MP 2 Blog Post